Reading opens doors to better-paying jobs, a hopeful future, and the skills needed in today’s digital world. At Neuhaus Education Center, you can learn how to read using methods that work.
SIGN UP FOR CLASSES
Call us at (713) 664-7676 or email us at AdultLiteracy@neuhaus.org.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE
You will learn with other students who also find it hard to read.
Classes are small so that our teachers can give you the support you
need to succeed.
YOU CAN DO IT
There is a way that can work for you.
- In-Person & Virtual Classes
- Evening Hours
- Taught by Certified Dyslexia Educators
The Margaret H. Ley Adult Literacy Program offers evening continuing education classes for adults 18* and older in the spring and the fall at Neuhaus Education Center. Our goal is to maximize the reading, spelling, and comprehension skills of our enrolled students by providing evidence-based reading instruction to the adult learner:
- Alphabetics: phonemic awareness, the six syllable types, syllable division strategies, reliable spelling patterns, rules for adding prefixes and suffixes
- Fluency: developing automatic recognition of words and fluent oral reading
- Vocabulary: study of words, word parts, word origins, and grammar
- Comprehension/Composition: strategies for gaining meaning from text and for putting thoughts on paper
Adult Literacy Classes
Classes are held twice a week (see FAQ #1 for more details). Classes are taught by Certified Academic Language Therapists, which is the equivalent of a dyslexia therapist. Classes are kept small for maximum learner benefit. Most students attend classes for a minimum of two (2) semesters.
*Students aged 16 and 17 can be considered for the program pending an interview.
- Screening is required before class placement and has a $25 fee. Screener fee is waived for young adults aged 16-24 and for others on a case-by-case basis.
- Class placement depends on reading level and class availability.
- Neuhaus offers the Adult Literacy classes free of charge to participants thanks to generous donors.
How to Register
- Determine if our classes meet your goals. Contact us at AdultLiteracy@Neuhaus.org.
- Make an appointment for the interview and screening. The screening is several subtests of standardized tests to determine a reading and spelling level for class placement. It is NOT diagnostic testing. The screening takes about 1 ½ hours and costs $25.
- Once we have agreed that there is a class that fits your needs, you will be contacted again the week before classes start. The official enrollment is the first night of class for that semester.