Virtual Learning that Works for You
Neuhaus is offering our in-house teacher professional development classes virtually! Virtual classes are available for educators and take place live, offering you the opportunity to interact with one of our expert Instructional Staff, as well as other virtual participants from the comfort and safety of your home.
On-demand vs. Virtual Classes
At Neuhaus, we make it easy for you to gain access to a variety of classes that offer flexibility in learning our curriculum. Our on-demand classes are online, pre-recorded, and readily available with immediate access from our eStore. Virtual classes provide remote learning with real-time instruction from Neuhaus Instructors. Register for scheduled dates in our eStore.
Taking Virtual Classes
In some ways, virtual learning differs from classroom learning – but at its core, much of it is the same. You will participate in discussions and activities with peers and instructors. And the best part, of course, is that you will be able to do all of this from the safety and comfort of home.
Please Note: If you are participating in a school or district group class, materials and confirmation communication may be distributed by district personnel.
- Prepare for your upcoming class by ensuring your coursework materials are shipped to your home and not your school.
- To reduce learning fatigue, you’ll watch a video before your first class date. The video is part of the class CEU hours. Check your confirmation email for the video link.
- Participate in a class at a date that best suits you. Classes are offered from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. CST. Basic Language Skills – Introduction Class and Basic Language Skills Advanced Class are offered from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. CST.
- Participants will have a 30-minute lunch break. Check our eStore for available dates.
- An Instructor will be available for 30 minutes after each class for questions.
- Ensure that your computer meets the technical requirements. Classes are held via Zoom video conference. Your Zoom invitation will be emailed within one to two days before the first day of class.
How to Register for Virtual Classes
- Check out with your chosen professional development class and date in our eStore.
- Look for your eStore receipt in your inbox.
- Look for your confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org one to three business days after purchase.
- Look for your Zoom invitation one to two business days before the first day of class from NeuhausIT@neuhaus.org. Each class will have a unique link.
Tips for Virtual Learning Success
Virtual learning can present unique challenges if you’re not prepared. Here are some tips to make sure you receive the most value out of your next class.
- Have your manuals, handouts, and supplies ready before class begins. Most of this will be shipped to you. A list of items you will need to supply or prepare is in the eStore and included with your shipped materials.
- Arrive early. Join the meeting 10 minutes early to allow time for troubleshooting technical issues.
- Fill out your nametag. The name you give Zoom when you join the meeting is displayed for all to see, so use your name, not a screenname.
- Be present mentally and physically—keep your camera on during instruction.
- Do not distract your classmates—keep your microphone muted until you’re asked to unmute.
- Have a thought or response to share? Type it in the chat window.
- Have a content question? Type QUESTION followed by your question in the chat window and one of our Instructors will respond.
- Need technical assistance? Type TECH and your issue into the chat window for help.
Neuhaus Virtual Professional Development uses Zoom for online learning. If you are unfamiliar with Zoom, we recommend you join the test meeting at https://zoom.us/test and learn to mute/unmute your microphone, start/stop your camera, and use the chat window. For the best online learning experience, you will need:
- A device with an internet connection.
- Classes are 5 hours. We don’t recommend using your mobile device.
- Make sure you have your device’s power cord.
- Minimum internet bandwidth is 800kbps/1.0Mbps (up/down) (Test your device and connection at https://www.speedtest.net)
- A webcam – either built into your device, or one that connects to your device via USB.
- A headset – a combination microphone and earphones connected to your device via Bluetooth, USB, or 3.5mm plug. If you don’t have one, you can use your device’s built-in microphone, but you’ll need to use headphones or earbuds instead of speakers. Using your device’s speakers will cause an echo for everyone else.
- A supported operating system and browser or the Zoom app. Test your devices and connection at https://zoom.us/test. Check Zoom’s support for specifics.
Neuhaus Education Center is not responsible for any technology-related issues that occur from your system. Virtual class participants are responsible for all technology-related issues whether it be hardware or software. If unforeseen issues occur due to technical issues, virtual class participants will remain responsible for completing the class.