- This event has passed.
Developing Metacognitive Strategies
Registration deadline is October 25, 2022
In addition to skilled decoding, robust oral language and vocabulary, boundless world knowledge, adequate linguistic development, and sufficient working memory, students need to learn how to think about their thinking to understand what they are reading. That is, students need metacognitive skills for critical reading of narrative and expository texts.
In Developing Metacognitive Strategies, participants learn:
- Activities that increase oral language;
- Strategies for increasing vocabulary and background knowledge;
- Summarization activities;
- Questioning techniques; and
- Progress monitoring for fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension